A bundle of carrots and peppers sat in my fridge, and I was tired of just roasting/stir frying. Here's what I used for a little pot (3-4 servings):
2-3 cups chicken broth/stock
Chunk of salt pork, chopped (can sub a couple slices of bacon)
1 red pepper, sliced
3 carrots, chunked
1/4 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons tumeric
1 teaspoon paprika
~1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1) Chicken broth goes into a small pot/saucepan, heat to a simmer.
2) Throw salt pork into a skillet over medium-medium low heat. Render fat. Put remaining pork into broth, leave fat in the pan.
3) Turn heat on skillet up to medium-medium high. In batches (to avoid overcrowding), throw the carrots, red peppers, and onion into the skillet until just blackened. This would be easier if I had kept the veggies separate...but I didn't. Once blackened, add veggies to the broth.
Carrots and onions, hanging out in the pan.
4) Add a little bit of oil/fat if you're out, turn the heat down to medium low, and throw tumeric and paprika into the skillet. Push around for about 30-60 seconds. Don't burn it. Add to broth and veggies
5) Add the vinegar.
6) Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until carrots are soft. Turn off burner, remove from heat.
Give your veggies a little black crust...don't be afraid!
7) Use immersion blender to blend the whole thing up.
Serve. Yum yum. If it's too thick for your liking, add some more water or broth.
|Finished. Now if you're excuse me...lunch calls.|