After finishing this post, I realize that I am trying to combine Indian curry with Thai sweet rice. Forgive me. I didn't have any basmati rice either...that's going on the shopping list.
1 cup sweet rice (I used "Hakubai Sweet Rice")
1/2 cup coconut milk
4 chicken thighs, bone in skin removed but saved
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 tablespoons yellow curry paste or powder
1 stalk lemongrass, cut into long pieces and "bruised" with the back of a knife. (Normally, you can eat the white part that is close to the base, but my stalk was super dry, so I just steeped it to infuse flavor)
2-3 tomatoes (mine were Super Fantastics with skin removed, so canned stewed would work)
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
Ahead of time:
1) Rinse the sweet rice until the water is clear-ish. Cover with 1 cup of water and let soak for at least 40 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup coconut milk, bring rice to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minute, then turn off heat and let rice sit for another 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
2) In a large pan w/ a lid, render fat from the chicken skins over low heat until skin is crispy and there is some fat on the pan. Remove the skin (salt and eat, it's tasty!)
3) Add onion and bell pepper, cook on medium til slightly softened.
4) Add curry paste or powder. Stir to coat the peppers and onions.
5) Add tomatoes, lemongrass, and coconut milk. stir to combine. Cover and simmer for awhile to let the flavors meld.
|simmer simmer simmer|
6) Add the chicken. Continue to simmer for about 45 minutes-an hour on low-ish heat until meat is tender. Remove the lemongrass (or just eat around it).
|I tested the middle one with a fork to make sure it was tender.|